God is the Line-drawer, the Distinction-maker. When He said, “Let dry land appear,” the land appeared. He drew the lines between heavens and earth, light and darkness, sky and land. When He speaks, life happens. When He draws lines, beauty bursts forth. Creation and our lives only have order because of His word, because He is the Speaker of peace. He is the Creator; we who are in Christ are new creations.
He is the great Definer of terms: we are to throw away our dictionaries and learn His definitions.
He is the great Definer of terms: we are to throw away our dictionaries and learn His definitions.
I say this because we need Him to define us. We need Him to draw the lines between good and evil in our lives. Order, peace, and beauty only happen when we listen to His voice. The following are questions Paul and Jenny Speed asked at a recent conference:
-Who validates you?
-What makes you feel
good about yourself?
Education? Books? Piano? Volleyball? Friendships? Ministry? These things keep me busy and they are not bad... but I know I’ve slipped into reading my old dictionary when I let busyness become an antidote, when prolonged silence is a little uncomfortable. We need to know God. We need to live out His definitions.
While I was at a farm several weeks ago, I spent a lot of time sitting on the grassy ridges. I imagined David as a shepherd boy, day after day communing with God as He listened to the birds and watched sheep. David let God define him in the secret place. He did not find his identity in being king; he was willing to give up the kingship both to Saul and to Absalom. We too must go sit on the hill with Jesus before we become busy for Him. We must be careful not to allow people or ministry or activities to define us, lest we use and therefore abuse them. But when He defines the terms and makes the distinctions in our lives, we can echo His words and say, "It is very good."
Suzanne (soo-zan): beloved of the Father, purchased with blood, discipled by Jesus, a sheep under His care, a lily of the valley
Suzanne (soo-zan): beloved of the Father, purchased with blood, discipled by Jesus, a sheep under His care, a lily of the valley
Thanks for sharing the truth and how it has affected you. Defining our life and identity in Christ is paramount. I needed to hear this. Keep writing, Soozan! =)
ReplyDeleteGalatians 2:20
This is Cherie already commenting to say that you are missed, a WHOLE LOT.
ReplyDeleteI had this cool idea . . . for you to write a book. :)
LOVE YOU SUZANNE!
I was just thinking you should write a book.
ReplyDeleteI think you should write a book too!
ReplyDelete