Amy Carmichael was a woman set-apart and committed solely
to Jesus. Despite health issues, she spent most of her life in India , serving
the people and rescuing girls from temple prostitution. She surrendered the
comforts and ideals of the "normal life" for the adventures and
difficulties of a life dedicated not to pleasing herself, but to magnifying
Jesus Christ. Her story is a deep challenge and inspiration to me.
Somehow we live based on the
tyranny of the urgent. Go to work. Finish this homework assignment. Make it to
that party. Buy gas. Pay bills.
But perhaps we should reevaluate
what truly is urgent. This story written by Amy Carmichael can do just that.
The Dream by Amy Carmichael
The tom-toms thumped straight on
all night and the darkness shuddered round me like a living, feeling thing. I
could not go to sleep, so I lay awake and looked; and I saw, as it seemed,
this:
That I stood on a grassy sward,
and at my feet a precipice broke sheer down into infinite space. I looked, but
saw no bottom; only cloud shapes, black and furiously coiled, and great
shadow-shrouded hollows, and unfathomable depths. Back I drew, dizzy at the
depth.
Then I saw forms of people moving
single file along the grass. They were making for the edge. There was a woman
with a baby in her arms and another little child holding on to her dress. She
was on the very verge. Then I saw that she was blind. She lifted her foot for
the next step . . . it trod air. She was over, and the children over with her.
Oh, the cry as they went over!
Then I saw more streams of people
flowing from all quarters. All were blind, stone blind; all made straight for
the precipice edge. There were shrieks, as they suddenly knew themselves
falling, and a tossing up of helpless arms, catching, clutching at empty air.
But some went over quietly, and fell without a sound.
Then I wondered, with a wonder
that was simply agony, why no one stopped them at the edge. I could not. I was
glued to the ground, and I could only call; though I strained and tried, only
whisper would come.
Then I saw that along the edge
there were sentries set at intervals. But the intervals were too great; there
were wide, unguarded gaps between. And over these gaps the people fell in their
blindness, quite unwarned; and the green grass seemed blood-red to me, and the
gulf yawned like the mouth of hell.
Then I saw, like a little picture
of peace, a group of people under some trees with their backs turned toward the
gulf. They were making daisy chains. Sometimes when a piercing shriek cut the
quiet air and reached them, it disturbed them and they thought it a rather
vulgar noise. And if one of their number started up and wanted to go and do
something to help, then all the others would pull that one down. "Why
should you get so excited about it? You must wait for a definite call to go!
You haven't finished your daisy chain yet. It would be really selfish,"
they said, "to leave us to finish the work alone."
There was another group. It was
made up of people whose great desire was to get more sentries out; but they
found that very few wanted to go, and sometimes there were no sentries set for
miles and miles of the edge.
Once a girl stood alone in her
place, waving the people back; but her mother and other relations called and
reminded her that her furlough was due; she must not break the rules. And being
tired and needing a change, she had to go and rest for awhile; but no one was
sent to guard her gap, and over and over the people fell, like a waterfall of
souls.
Once a child caught at a tuft of
grass that grew at the very brink of the gulf; it clung convulsively, and it
called-but nobody seemed to hear. Then the roots of the grass gave way, and
with a cry the child went over, its two little hands still holding tight to the
torn-off bunch of grass. And the girl who longed to be back in her gap thought
she heard the little one cry, and she sprang up and wanted to go; at which they
reproved her, reminding her that no one is necessary anywhere; the gap would be
well taken care of, they knew. And then they sang a hymn.
Then through the hymn came
another sound like the pain of a million broken hearts wrung out in one full
drop, one sob. And a horror of great darkness was upon me, for I knew what it
was-the Cry of the Blood.
Then thundered a voice, the voice
of the Lord. "And He said, 'What hast thou done, The voice of thy
brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground.'"
The tom-toms still beat heavily,
the darkness still shuddered and shivered about me; I heard the yells of the
devil-dancers and weird, wild shriek of the devil-possessed just outside the
gate.
What does it matter, after all?
It has gone on for years; it will go on for years. Why make such a fuss about
it?
God forgive us! God arouse us!
Shame us out of our callousness! Shame us out of our sin!
Uh...so convicting!!! Why should you go? Why not wait for "the calling"!!! Great post, Suzanne! Thank you for the reminder of the urgency and the entire purpose of why God has allowed us to remain here on this earth after salvation! Definitely puts everything else into perspective!
ReplyDelete