Monday, March 7, 2011

No turning back.

Twelve years--more than a decade. Twelve years ago today, I sat as a little girl in a pew toward the back of our church. Of course we were toward the back... energetic kids who get tired of drawing pictures sometimes get noisy. I imagine that my dad, in a suit and red tie, kept an eye on us as he took notes.  My older brothers were probably fiddling with their ties or drawing pictures for the kids bulletin, and it's likely my little sister was wearing a yellow flower dress, a straw hat resting on top of her wispy blonde curls. We were all lined up in the pew, all trying to be good--it was a normal Sunday.

But that Sunday, as a little girl wearing itchy stockings and trying to keep my dark hair out of my face, I listened to the sermon--and at the end, I chose Jesus. I can remember peeking out from behind my hair to see if anyone else raised their hand at the invitation.

I'll admit that as a child I sought to escape judgment. I didn't want to go to hell--no kid does. So I raised my little hand, went home, and scribbled the date in my Bible. I don't remember if my life changed much back then, and it wasn't until several years later that I remember starting to read my Bible regularly.

But now, twelve years later, He is so much more.

He is my Father, my Protector, my Redeemer,the Lover of my soul, my Master, my Friend. He is my King. He has never forsaken me. He has always been faithful... and He will be this year, and next, twelve years from now, and forever. He has kept me in His love (Jude 21). He has made me above reproach in His sight (Col. 1:22). He is able to keep me from stumbling (Jude 24). He is faithful to complete the good work He has begun (Phil. 1:6).

Twelve years from today I want to know Him even better. Time is ticking.  No turning back. 

One thing I have desired of the Lord, that will I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in His temple. -Psalm 27:4

No comments:

Post a Comment