Thursday, March 3, 2011

Words

"I will meditate on the glorious splendor of Your majesty, and on Your wondrous works." --Psalm 145:5

Something about this verse moves me; it touches something within me that desires the epic life, that watches the sunrise on the edge of the Grand Canyon and says, "This beauty is for me." Perhaps one small reason for this is there are at least four words in that one verse that proclaim the splendor of our King. The words that we choose to declare who He is will affect our own and others' attitudes about life. I want my words--in conversation, in prayer, in my own thoughts--to make Him glorious, to adorn the Gospel, to have beauty and depth.

Sure, words such as "awesome" and "holy" have lost their depth because of overuse... and to answer "Epically" whenever someone asks "How are you?" would neutralize the impact of the word. However, I do believe we should learn, we should practice making Him glorious with our words. The Bible is full of powerful language:

"The God of peace will crush Satan under your feet." --Romans 16:20
"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." --Psalm 65:11
"Death is swallowed up in victory. O Death, where is thy sting? O Grave, where is thy victory?" -1 Corinthians 15:54-55
"Then you shall see and become radiant and your heart shall swell with joy" (Isaiah 60:5).
"Awake, awake, put on strength, O arm of YHWH! Awake as in the ancient days, in the generations of old." -Isaiah 51:9

 God has so many Names.. I need to learn to use them. He is my Jehovah Jireh, my Intercessor, the Lily of my valley, my Shepherd, my Defender. Just as the more time I spend with a person, the more I speak like them, the more I seek His heart and read His Word, the more my language--and even my word choice--will reflect my Rabbi's. Enjoy words. Capture them; wield them for the kingdom. Take dominion.


And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth. --John 1:1

1 comment: