I heard this song for the first time a week ago, and have been pondering it since. Living life God's way all goes back to letting God define the terms. Perhaps we miss some of God's greatest blessings because we don't see with His perspective. Jacob walked with a limp--but he got the blessing. Job lost everything--but he gained twice as much. Jesus sacrificed His very life--but He triumphed and received the nations as His inheritance. I need a heavenly glasses prescription. When I choose to look at the "trials of this life" as His "mercies in disguise," I am able to smile and say "Thank you"... and then He guards my heart with peace. When I sacrifice my "right" to complain, I walk in Jesus' footsteps.
"He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?" (Romans 8:32) Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me (I can't escape them!) all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of YHWH forever (Ps. 23). No doubts about it. :)
"Blessings" by Laura Story
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CSVqHcdhXQ&feature=related
We pray for blessings, we pray for peace
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep
We pray for healing, for prosperity
We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering
All the while You hear each spoken need
Yet love is way too much to give us lesser things
'Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears?
What if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You're near?
What if trials of this life
Are Your mercies in disguise?
We pray for wisdom, Your voice to hear
We cry in anger when we cannot feel You near
We doubt Your goodness, we doubt Your love
As if every promise from Your Word is not enough
And all the while You hear each desperate plea
And long that we'd have faith to believe
'Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears?
And what if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You're near?
And what if trials of this life
Are Your mercies in disguise?
When friends betray us, when darkness seems to win
We know that pain reminds this heart
That this is not, this is not our home
It's not our home
'Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears?
And what if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You're near?
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst
This world can't satisfy?
And what if trials of this life
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are Your mercies in disguise?
------
"If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world." --C.S. Lewis
:)
ReplyDeleteWow Suzanne. That is so true. Also, thank you for the reminder to let God define the terms. I think the lesson of the fact that trials are actually blessings is one of the hardest to learn and remember yet is one of the most foundational.
ReplyDeleteOne of my top favorite songs right now. So very true, powerful and real.
ReplyDelete