Monday, July 4, 2011

God's 4th of July Sky Display

Last night I saw hundreds of fireworks. They were cool… and we sat pretty close to where they were being shot off, which added to the coolness. But frankly (and perhaps I need to regain my childlike delight), fireworks have become normal to me. The bang, the colors, the predictable finale, the applause… we ooh and ahh, and so we should. Fireworks are cool. They are a way to celebrate. 

But I saw something much cooler today—something most of Charlotte probably missed, because there was no sound...only color. 

I saw a rainbow—a brilliant arc all across the sky. It was a double rainbow. As I stood barefoot out in the rain with my parents and my brother, God added to His evening sky display with a strike of lightning across the rainbow. Only God. He is awesome, and I mean that in the true sense of the word. And He cares about me. Every time I see rainbows I am reminded that He is a Covenant-Keeper. He will not forsake His promises to me. Rainbows are ancient history alive today. True to His word to Noah, YHWH has never flooded the whole earth again. And He never will.  That's my God.


And He who sat there was like a jasper and a sardius stone in appearance; and there was a rainbow around the throne, in appearance like an emerald... and from the throne proceeded lightnings, thunderings and voices... You are worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power; for You created all things, and by Your will they exist and were created. --Revelation 4:3,5,11



No comments:

Post a Comment