Two years ago today I was at the airport with my life packed in two suitcases, saying goodbye to all familiar people and territory. Two years ago today I arrived at the big brick building that I later started calling “my mansion.” Two years ago today I started meeting each of you… and today, two years later, I am not the same person. Now I know you all. And, I play volleyball. ;-)
From our first Journey--where I hardly remember anyone--to graduation, when I couldn't imagine saying goodbye, it has been a delight and an adventure to be in the 'll class. Pretty much epic, I'd say.
Yes, we studied.
Yes, we tested. (And wondered if the Shakespeare tests would ever come.)
And yes, we got our degrees.
But Verity has been so much more to me than testing and a degree. When I think of Verity, I don't think of my diploma first. I think of, well... y'all.
I have been challenged to love God more because of y'all. I have been inspired to love people. I have learned something from each of you. You have made an eternal impact on my life, and I'm grateful.
Yes, we studied.
Yes, we tested. (And wondered if the Shakespeare tests would ever come.)
And yes, we got our degrees.
But Verity has been so much more to me than testing and a degree. When I think of Verity, I don't think of my diploma first. I think of, well... y'all.
I have been challenged to love God more because of y'all. I have been inspired to love people. I have learned something from each of you. You have made an eternal impact on my life, and I'm grateful.
Remember when we had our pictures taken for our student ID's during orientation? Yeah... and when we had to wear name tags to help us remember each other's names? And then when we took our first test... and some of us went through the test tutorial to remind ourselves "how to use a mouse"? Wow. Time flies.
Then there was our first symposium, beginning the traditional Tuesday afternoon "And our first impromptu this afternoon will go to..."
Then there was our first symposium, beginning the traditional Tuesday afternoon "And our first impromptu this afternoon will go to..."
I couldn't possibly list all the special memories from these past two years... but here are a few.
-Skits... personalities, accents, costumes. Humor. Pictures. Laughter. Memories.
-Volleyball at park night, in the courtyard, out front, on Saturdays, in the evenings, 6:30 a.m., tournaments. Sets. Spikes. Digs. Teamwork. Whoosh!
-Snowball fights... planned, unplanned... wet, cold. A blast... of fresh air, and of fun.
-Times in the kitchen making cookies, pies, pizza... cookie dough, messes, laughter, blessing our auction pies (I think someone called them our "burnt offering").
-Times in the kitchen making cookies, pies, pizza... cookie dough, messes, laughter, blessing our auction pies (I think someone called them our "burnt offering").
-Tornado alarms in the middle of class and fire alarms in the middle of the night (which included seeing who had been asleep for a while, who was still awake at midnight, and the bonus of the chance to go stargazing after curfew).
-Volleyball... in rain, shine, or... mud. Camaraderie.
-Prayer and Praise… in the lobby, outside, in the courtyard, at the McCray’s. God's presence. Encouragement. Exhortations. Singing. Rejoicing. Resting. Music. The fellowship that comes through Jesus.
-Prayer and Praise… in the lobby, outside, in the courtyard, at the McCray’s. God's presence. Encouragement. Exhortations. Singing. Rejoicing. Resting. Music. The fellowship that comes through Jesus.
-Dish pit… the short ones, the long ones, the extra ones. Silly conversations. Thought-provoking discussions. Water. Toppling dishes. Singing. Curfew extensions.
-Our “first” class outing at McAlister’s... Boggle. Rook. Stories. Laughter.
-Taking the staff out for ice-cream... clapping when they came out of the store, praying for them, hoping to return in a small way the huge way they blessed us.
-More ice-cream parties... always with generous scoopers. :-)
-Taking the staff out for ice-cream... clapping when they came out of the store, praying for them, hoping to return in a small way the huge way they blessed us.
-More ice-cream parties... always with generous scoopers. :-)
-Preparing for the auction... the meetings, the decorating, the cutting out of stars, the pie making, the visits to businesses, the layer of ice that was everywhere outside, the guitar...
-Class Prayer... a happy part of Mondays. Sharing, praying, discussing, planning, and then the mass exodus from the lobby at 9:59, everybody running upstairs, trying not to spill water from the pitchers.
-Photo scavenger hunt... rushing through the halls, finding sunglasses and stuffed animals, making faces, jumping.
-Senior trip... road trip, sports, walks, chasing sheep, bonfires, coats (or lack thereof), food, knockout, the night in the cozy little house, quiet times, roosters, sunrise...
-Singing at the nursing home grad week... being the hands and feet of Jesus. Intercession. Encouragement. Music.
-Practicing and performing “Grace Alone” and “So Long, Farewell” ... organizing, after chapel meetings, laughing, wanting to cry because this season of life has been so beautiful.
For me, some of the most special times at Verity have been the times of prayer... we've gotten to know God's heart in a deeper way. We've seen Him answer. He's provided for our needs, given us endurance, enabled us to pass tests, sent us across the world, blessed us with friendships, and prepared good works for us to continue to walk in.
My friends, God has been so faithful to us. These are just a few memories. I think of and pray for you all often and know without a doubt that God has epic plans for your life. Keep abiding and believing Him. Subdue kingdoms. Work righteousnesses. Obtain the promises. He chose you to bear much fruit... fruit that remains much longer than two years.
-Photo scavenger hunt... rushing through the halls, finding sunglasses and stuffed animals, making faces, jumping.
-Senior trip... road trip, sports, walks, chasing sheep, bonfires, coats (or lack thereof), food, knockout, the night in the cozy little house, quiet times, roosters, sunrise...
-Singing at the nursing home grad week... being the hands and feet of Jesus. Intercession. Encouragement. Music.
-Practicing and performing “Grace Alone” and “So Long, Farewell” ... organizing, after chapel meetings, laughing, wanting to cry because this season of life has been so beautiful.
For me, some of the most special times at Verity have been the times of prayer... we've gotten to know God's heart in a deeper way. We've seen Him answer. He's provided for our needs, given us endurance, enabled us to pass tests, sent us across the world, blessed us with friendships, and prepared good works for us to continue to walk in.
My friends, God has been so faithful to us. These are just a few memories. I think of and pray for you all often and know without a doubt that God has epic plans for your life. Keep abiding and believing Him. Subdue kingdoms. Work righteousnesses. Obtain the promises. He chose you to bear much fruit... fruit that remains much longer than two years.
Oh, and did I mention the fun times we had playing.... volleyball? Memories. Friendships. And Stevie's serve.
Guess who the photo compliments go to? ...y'all. (particularly Nathan, Cole, Peter K, John, Micah, Gem, and Whitney)
God bless y'all as you make Him known at home and around the world. Let's run the race with endurance, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith. Let it Be Said of Us that we had A Passion for Thee and we went forth in Grace Alone.
Two years has changed my life. Y'all are awesome! Standfast. Love Jesus. And don't grow weary in doing good.
-Suzanne




































Suzanne! What a beautiful post. I love all the simple pleasures you mentioned. Nearly made me cry. Watching another class begin orientation this week has brought back so many memories from two years ago... I miss the season of student-hood too, but it's good to remember that it was merely an epic preparation for a more epic life. :) <3 you, kayla
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for taking the time to post that Suzanne! It brought back so many awesome memories. Peter Rupp
ReplyDeleteI think I'll bookmark this page so I can return and read it whenever I miss my class. What a great post and a great reminder of God's goodness! Many thanks for recollection, compilation, composition, and extrapolation.
ReplyDeleteGreat post Suzanne! I've always appreciated your encouragement and super-awesome spirit - praise God! I dunno what extrapolation means...now I have an excuse to find a dictionary.
ReplyDelete